It’s not often that a person shimmies up to the barbecue buffet table and exclaims, “My that’s a might pretty cole slaw you’re serving today!”. This Pistachio Cherry Red Cabbage Slaw is a head turner. It also makes the transition from a summer grill side dish to a fall grill side dish, nicely. Slaw is for summer and red cabbage is for cozier times. Put some sparkle in your coleslaw. The green of the pistachios bounces against the purple slaw and catches your eye. The tangy of the slaw bounces against the tart dried cherries and catches your tongue.
- 1 pound red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4-pound red onion, sliced thinly
- kosher salt
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 4 ounces dried cherries
- 4 ounces boiling water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill, snipped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- Mix cabbage, onion, celery, and 1 tablespoon of salt in a medium sized bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes and drain off excess liquid.
- Rehydrate the cherries by mixing them with boiling water in a heat-proof dish for ten minutes. Reserve any excess water.
- Heat the excess water from the cherries in a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce it to a syrup. Add the vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot vinegar over the cabbage mixture.
- Add the dill, olive oil and pepper to taste.
- Pile slaw in a serving bowl and dust the slaw with the pistachios.