Carnitas are citrus and spice infused braised pork that’s often browned in the oven before using.They’re kind of like Mexican pulled pork.
- 4 pounds pork butt, cubed
- 8 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 orange, juiced and 1/2 of it zested
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a heavy pot with a lid. Cook the carnitas on a low flame for about two hours until the meat is falling apart, stirring occasionally.
- Drain excess fat by placing a colander over a bowl and drain the liquids. Keep the meat in a container in the refrigerator. Pour fat and drippings from the bowl into a heat-proof container. Put the fat container in the refrigerator or freezer until the fat can be removed and saved for another purpose. Mix the drippings back into the meat.
- To use the carnitas, preheat oven to 450 °. Place the meat on a sheet pan and crisp it in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
Yield: About 7 cups
Use carnitas for tacos, burritos, tostadas, tortas, etc. I used it as a base for my Carnitas Pie.