A Whole 30 and gluten free compliant pie with a potato crust, pork carnitas, caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes, and eggs. My idea was to take the ingredients of pork taco and make it into a pie or quiche with a layered potato crust.
- 1 recipe Garlicky Slow-ish Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 recipe Carnitas
- 1 recipe Layered Potato Crust
- 8 red radishes, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups pork carnitas
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1 cup Garlicky Tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoon water or stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, parsley or chives
- 1 layered potato crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 °.
- Toss the radishes with olive oil. sprinkle salt and pepper and place on a shallow sheet pan and roast for 20-30 minutes. Prepare the carrots the same way at the same time.
- Place pork carnitas in the potato crust, add radishes, carrots and onions.
- Beat the eggs well with the water or stock, add the cilantro and pour into potato crust.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top of the pie skin side up.
- Wrap the edge of the pie with aluminum foil to cover the edge of the potato crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the eggs are cooked. You can remove the foil to crisp the potato edge about 10 minutes before the pie is done.
- Cool for ten minutes. Gently and carefully lift the pie out of the pan using the parchment strips and place on a serving plate.
Yield: 8 servings