I adore the combination of coconut and lemon. I added coconut flour and substituted coconut oil for some of the butter for flavor. I added rice flour to give it the texture of a Scottish shortbread.
- SHORTBREAD 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lemon curd:1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 ounce lemon zest (7 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup of toasted, shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 °.
- Have ready a 9” x 13” x 1” sheet pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the coconut oil, butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. In another bowl mix together the flours and salt. Mix the flour mixture throroughly into the butter mixture.
- Press the dough evenly into the sheet pan and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and pierce the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden. Check the pastry at about 20 minutes to make sure the dough has not puffed up. If it does, poke it again with a fork and gently press it down with a clean dish cloth or a pot holder. Cool.
- While the shortbread base is cooking, prepare the lemon curd by combining the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, sugar and salt in a double boiler on medium heat. Whisk until the ingredients thicken well, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Keep warm by covering the top of the curd with plastic wrap so it doesn’t skin.
- Cover shortbread base with lemon curd and top with toasted coconut.
- Trim edges and eat them. Cut into 1.5” squares.
Yield: 48 squares
I thought about doubling the recipe for the lemon curd for this recipe. If you’re a lemon freak, do it. My recipe tasters said there was enough lemon curd, but I have to wonder, if there’s ever enough?