A recipe for a southern potato salad with eggs, sweet relish, mustard, red peppers, celery, carrots, red onions, parsley and more. It resembles confetti.
- 3 pounds of whole, red skinned potatoes
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced fine
- 1/2 pound string beans, ends trimmed and finely sliced in rounds
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced
- 6 peeled, hard boiled eggs
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water and cook until they are fork tender, but firm. Drain and cool. Peel the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix the red pepper, celery, red onion, carrots, and string beans with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and set aside for at least 1/2 hour. Gently crush the potatoes and eggs with your hand or a fork in a bowl being sure to leave large chunks of potato.
- Drain veggies well, squeeze them in paper towels and add them to the potato mixture. Stir in the parsley, mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and mustard. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Chill thoroughly before serving,
Yield: 12 servings
You can add any other vegetables you like. Just be sure to degorge them with the salt treatment so you remove excess water from the salad.