A sweet slightly thick vanilla cream sauce to serve with desserts like puddings, pies, cakes, and more
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks (55-60 grams)
- Mix milk and cream in a small saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean in half, scrape the seeds into the milk-cream mixture, chop up the pod and add it as well.
- Have ready by the stove, a spoon, a 3-cup heat-proof container with a fine strainer on top ready to strain the sauce and an ice bath to cool the sauce that the heat-proof container will fit in.
- Beat egg yolks with the sugar in a 3-cup bowl and have a small whisk ready.
- Heat milk mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally, until small bubbles appear at the edges of the pan.
- Stirring constantly, whisk the milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Then return the mixture to the pot to stove, over medium heat, stirring constantly, especially at the bottom edges of the pan until the mixture is thick enough to coat the spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain into the heat-proof container. Place container into the ice bath and stir to cool. Remove from the ice bath and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Yield: 2 cups