I live around the corner from Paisano’s Meat Market on Smith Street in Brooklyn. They sell Italian sausage meat which is a fatty, spiced ground pork mixture studded with fennel seeds. You could pretty much mix anything into it and it would be AMAZING. When I was researching my International Men With Balls Brunch I came across this popular dish that’s often made with Bisquick. Mine have a much higher ratio of I made gluten free sausage and cheddar balls.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced fine
- 2 pounds of sausage meat
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped fine
- 2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- In a small skillet, sauté the onions until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the sausage meat with the onions and the remaining ingredients.
- Roll one ball. Heat the small skillet and cook off the ball to do a taste test. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Roll remaining mixture into 1” round balls. Place on a lightly greased sheet pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the balls are cooked through.
Yield: 6 dozen balls
A number of recipes call for a dipping sauce or a glaze, but I think this meatier version is fine on it’s own. That said, if you want prefer you can serve it with a bbq sauce or a spicy ketchup or sriracha.