Talk about flexible! This mushroom, zucchini and fennel dish can be served as a salsa, bruschetta or cecina topping, quesadilla filling or a side dish.
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced very thin
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces fennel, diced
- 10 oz button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 pound zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 3 scallions, sliced in round
- Fennel fronds (optional)
- Sprinkle garlic lightly with salt and allow to sit for ten minutes. Dab it lightly with a paper towel to remove some of the moisture.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet, over medium heat. Fry garlic for 1 minutes and remove it with a slotted spoon.
- Add fennel, mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook until the vegetables are cooked about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until it’s absorbed.
- Remove heat and add the pesto and scallions. Season to taste and garnish with fennel fronds.
Yield: One pint of salsa