To this native New Yorker, it’s not a hot dog without onions, sauerkraut and mustard. These are better than the onions I grew up with.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds of yellow onions, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 - 1 cup of water
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil and add the onions. Cook until the onions are golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Lower flame and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve warm.
Yield: 1 quart
These are not limited to being used on hot dogs. You could put on a burger or grilled cheese sandwich. They’d be great with sausages. The possibilities are kind of endless.