- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) white vinegar
- 2 cups (400g) superfine sugar
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) cornstarch
- 6 extra large egg whites
- Whipped Cream2 cups heavy cream (300ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (20g) sugar (optional)*
- Fresh Fruit (suggestions**)Strawberries
- Kiwi fruit
- Passion Fruit
- Preheat oven to 300F°. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Mix together the vanilla and the vinegar in small bowl or ramekin and set it aside. Mix half the sugar with the cornstarch in a small bowl, until there are no cornstarch lumps and set it aside.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed just until soft peaks begin to form.
- Beat in the other half of the sugar gradually, about a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the egg whites are shiny and glossy.
- Beat in the sugar and cornstarch mixture until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the vanilla-vinegar mixture with a large whisk.
- Spread meringue mixture on the parchment paper in 8” circle, building up the sides so they are higher than the middle.
- Bake for 1-1/4 hours. Open the door to the oven and let the meringue dry for a half hour. Cool completely.
- Carefully place the meringue disc on a platter.
- Whip cream with sugar, if using, in a medium bowl until soft peaks form and then continue slowly until stiff, being careful not to over-beat it.
- Spoon whipped cream on top of the meringue evenly. Slice and arrange fresh fruit on top of the cream. If you have it, slice a fresh passion fruit in half and squeeze the pulp all over the other fruit.
You can make superfine sugar out of granulated sugar by running it through a food processor fitted with the steel knife.
*Personally, I don’t put sugar in the whipped cream because the meringue is already so sweet.
**Pretty much any fruit you desire. If you can get fresh passionfruit, do so.