Radishes can be hot and I’m not talking “trendy”. Common pinky-red European radishes are often spicy, almost peppery when raw. Anchovies and garlic are not shy of flavor either. Roasting them together tames them into a dish where they seem to give up their feisty notes and make nice together in the sand box of your mouth. Did I really just write that? Forgive me. They just remind me of bratty, little, only-children who are impossible until they meet each other in the playground and have to be nice… at least to one another.
- 1 bunch of radishes (about a dozen), halved
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced thin
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh rosemary, minced
- squeeze of lemon juice
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss radishes with olive oil, anchovies and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay radishes, cut side down on sheet pan and roast for ten minutes or until they are tender.
- Toss with rosemary, lemon juice and drizzle of good extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
Yield: Serves four
You can add more anchovies or garlic to this dish and it would be even better