These are chocolaty chocolate cupcakes. I top them with chocolate ganache frosting that’s made simply from chocolate and cream and only as sweet as the chocolate you use in it.
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 2 1/2” x 1 1/4” cupcake pans and line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk boiling water and cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside until cooled.
- In a stand mixer, combine cake flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend on low speed.
- Beat in half of the cocoa mixture and the butter on medium speed for 1 minute, then scrape down sides of bowl and beat for another minute.
- Mix sour cream, eggs and vanilla into remaining cocoa mixture. Add the cocoa/sour cream mixture to the mixer in 3 batches, beating for a half minute and scraping the sides of the bowl each time. Do not over beat.
- Fill liners evenly and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool and frost with Chocolate Ganache Frosting.
Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes