A spicy Indian spin on coleslaw with coconut, lime, chilies and peanuts that’s gluten-free and vegan.
- 1 pound white cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 3 ounces peanuts, roasted and salted
- 1 ounce unsweetened coconut shreds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 to 2 fresh green chiles (Serrano, Jalapeño,etc.) stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, mix cabbages, carrots, scallions, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside for 20 minutes. Drain excess juices.
- Combine peanuts and coconut in a small food processor or blender and pulse them to chop them coarsely.
- Place coconut oil in a small frying pan with mustard seeds and cumin seeds with a lid. Heat over a low flame. Cook for 30 seconds, gently shaking the pan, after you hear the mustard seeds begin to pop. Remove from heat and stir in the curry powered and the turmeric. Add spices to the cabbage mixture with peanut mixture, 1 teaspoon of salt, cilantro, chilies and lime juice.
- Allow mixture to sit for 30 minutes. Season with more salt and freshly ground black pepper if necessary.
Yield: 8 servings
You can buy unsweetened coconut in most health food stores.