“Hey, nice looking slaw!” When was the last time someone called your coleslaw pretty? Behold, a stunning red coleslaw studded with dried cherries and topped with pistachio dust.
- 1 pound red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4-pound red onion, sliced thinly
- kosher salt
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin
- 4 ounces dried cherries
- 4 ounces boiling water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill, snipped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- Mix cabbage, onion, celery, and 1 tablespoon of salt in a medium sized bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes and drain off excess liquid.
- Rehydrate the cherries by mixing them with boiling water in a heat-proof dish for ten minutes. Reserve any excess water.
- Heat the excess water from the cherries in a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce it to a syrup. Add the vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot vinegar over the cabbage mixture.
- Add the dill, olive oil and pepper to taste.
- Pile slaw in a serving bowl and dust the slaw with the pistachios.
Yield: 6 servings