The end of tomatoes brings me to tears. But the bright side is chutney. I rescue the green tomatoes and I make 4G green tomato chutney.
- Spice Bag1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Chutney3 pounds green apple, peeled and diced
- 3 pounds green tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 pounds currants
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 pounds brown sugar
- 16 ounces cider vinegar
- 3 lemons, rind and juice
- 4 teaspoons black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup loosely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 pound jalapeño chilies, seeded and chopped
- Prepare the spice bag by tying the spices in cheese cloth or a large tea strainer that will not open.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a 7 quart stainless steel stockpot.
- Add spice bag. Bring to a simmer and cook for about two hours.
- Remove spice bag and cool slightly.
- Can in sterilized jars.
Yield: 5 quarts