This is my mom’s Cheese, Onion & Tomato Pie based on the Savory Cheese and Onion Pie in “The Vegetarian Epicure” by Anna Thomas published in 1972. All my life, we’ve called it Cheese, Onion & Tomato Pie, but after I reached out to Anna Thomas and asked permission to publish this recipe, I looked it up and see that she has another recipe called Cheese & Tomato Pie in her book, The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two. This is not that recipe although that one looks good too. My mom uses a frozen 9” pie crust for the pie, but the original recipe calls for a 10” shortcrust pastry. My mom adds Parmesan cheese to the recipe as well.
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 10 ounces cheese: half Gruyere and half Swiss, grated and combined
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 large ripe, firm tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Defrost the pie crust or use a homemade crust.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °.
- Press the Parmesan cheese into the crust.
- Grate all the cheese and toss with the flour.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and sauté the onions, very gently in the butter until they begin to turn golden, about a half hour. Spread about 1/3 of the Gruyere-Swiss cheese over the bottom of a pie dish. Then spread the onions over it.
- In the butter that is left in the pan, heat the tomato slices with the chopped basil for a minute or two. Arrange the tomato slices over the onions, then cover them with the remaining cheese.
- Beat the eggs with the cream. Add salt and pepper and pour over the cheese.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
We usually serve this as a side dish for Thanksgiving so we serve smaller portions. The original recipe says it’s six servings.