I drew the illustration for the pudding RECI-TEE before I ever made chocolate pudding from scratch. It was so CUTE! I had to come up with a recipe. This chocolate pudding makes people swoon and it’s so simple to make!
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift together cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium bowl.
- Whisk in milk and cream and mix into cocoa mixture until smooth. Pour through a fine strainer into a medium heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Set saucepan over medium flame and with a wooden spoon, stir slowly, but constantly till mixtures thickens and boils for one minute. Remove from heat and quickly stir in 1 tsp vanilla. Pour immediately into container and place plastic wrap directly on top pudding surface to keep a skin from forming.
- Cool at room temperature for 15 minutes then refrigerate till cold about 2 hours.
- Spoon into serving dishes and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings to serve.
Yield: Makes 4 - 6 servings.
Add something crunchy like caramelized crisped rice or toasted nuts on top of the whipped cream.