- 6 lbs of sweet potatoes, with skins on
- 1 can of coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or to taste
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- Coconut sugar (or brown sugar) for sprinkling.
- Preheat oven to 350 F°
- Place sweet potatoes on a lightly greased sheet pan. Poke each one, twice, with a fork, just on top. Slow roast the potatoes until they are completely soft.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and cool. Peel skins and discard them.Mash potatoes with a masher, a food processor or whip them, like I did, with a stand mixer fitted with the wire whip. Add the coconut milk a little at a time to incorporate it. Add sugar a little at a time, being careful not to over sweeten them because the sweet potatoes could be very sweet from their slow roasting. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place coconut whipped sweet potatoes in a baking dish to reheat in a 350 F° oven before serving.
You may find that a sweet potato caramel forms on the sheet pan when you’re roasting. I suggest scraping it off the pan and adding it to the warmed coconut milk and dissolve it.
You can add cinnamon, allspice, fresh ginger juice, etc. to give them more flavor dimension, but I just left them plain.