Sweet, crunchy, salty almonds and black sesame seeds add texture, flavor and beauty to desserts and salads, or you can just nibble on them.
- 1 cup sliced almonds 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water, if necessary
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Have ready a plate lined with parchment, a silpat or waxed paper.
- Mix the almonds and the sugar in a dry, heavy frying pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly with a silicone scraper to melt the sugar and brown the almonds. This takes about five minutes. If the sugar is not melting as fast as the almonds are browning, add the water and continue stirring to melt the rest of the sugar and coat the nuts. Once the sugar melts and distributes evenly, then sprinkle in black sesame seeds. Give it a quick stir for 30 second, sprinkle with sea salt and quickly pour the nuts on the lined plate. Working quickly, use the scraper to distribute the nuts evenly on the parchment. Cool completely.
Yield: 1 cup